Language Proficiency Requirements for Foreign-Trained Applicants

Canada has 2 official languages, English and French. In most provinces and territories English is the main official language. In the provinces of Ontario and New Brunswick both English and French are official languages, and in the province of Quebec French is the official language.

Therefore, language proficiency between English and French depends on where the FTLS will settle in the country.

Every FTLS making an application to become a Canadian land surveyor must provide the resultsof the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment1 or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)2 which measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is used as a language of communication. Or the French

For Québec, 4 different tests are recognized, for other provinces, the federal government French test will be accepted.

Tests Results


  • For the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment, a minimum score of 65
    is required.
  • For or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), a minimum score of
    6.5 is required.

The practice of Land Surveying in Canada is generally defined as:

  • the determination, establishment or recording by any means of the positions of points, natural features or features made by persons on, over or under the surface of the earth
  • the determination of the form of the earth
  • to determine, locate, define, describe, establish or re-establish boundaries
  • it includes the preparation of maps, plans, systems and documents and the giving of advice with respect to any of the matters above.